- 1/4 cup pecan pieces
- 4 ounces low-fat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- grated zest of 1 orange, optional
- salt and pepper
- 1 package mixed greens
- 1 medium tart apple (such as Granny Smith)
- 1/2 cup long-grain wild rice, cooked according to package directions
Preheat oven to 350ºF. Place pecans on baking sheet. Bake for 6 minutes or until toasted and golden brown. Cool.
Meanwhile, TO MAKE DRESSING: Combine yogurt, vinegar, juice, honey, mustard and orange zest, if using, in small bowl. Whisk vigorously. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
TO MAKE SALAD: Combine greens, dried cranberries and cooled pecans in large bowl. With sharp knife, cut apple into quarters; remove core. Slice each quarter into thin slices; sprinkle apple slices over salad. Top with wild rice. Drizzle with dressing. Gently toss to coat evenly.
Serves 2 as a meal or 4 as a side salad.
TIP: Transform this delicious salad into a hearty entrée by adding poached chicken breast.